Tuesday, March 24, 2009

...and that's why we're related.

I did not begin listening to my own music until I was in seventh grade. Before then, it was the sounds of oldies playing through the radio of my mom's minivan after school on the way home. Sometimes she would play music in the house over the old record player that they still have. I was well aware of most of the Beach Boy's catalog, as well as the early Beatles and most hit singles between the years of 1955-1968. By this time, most of my other classmates had already started to listen to their own style of music. I knew who Hanson was, N'Sync, Savage Garden, The Wallflowers (which are still good), and Tom Petty's "Last Dance With Mary Jane" was also still popular—though not many probably recognized the coolness of Tom Petty at that time. As a consolation, I am a little embarrassed that I just mentioned some of these "bands"... It will not happen again.

My first cd that I bought with my own money was Third Eye Blind's debut. It was money that was well spent. I listen to it incessantly. I did not own a personal cd player till I was in tenth grade (yes, I was behind on this as well—along with ipods, but that's much later). So to listen to my 3eb album, I had to copy it to a tape. This cut off the last two songs and I never heard these with the same appreciation as the other twelve songs till much later. 

I mark this purchase as not only my own musical liberation, but also my brother's. Since he is just over four years younger than I am, his own musical revelation was not due for another year or two. His head-start though has been a marvelous companion to my own exploration. During a performance of mine, I told a story of the two of us and stated that our musical preferences overlapped generously like a vin diagram, where he leans more to hip-hop and I lean more towards folk. He agrees with this idea. I tell him about what I believe he would like in the world of folk music and he graciously does the same concerning his genre of hip-hop performers. 

A recent suggestion of his was Girl Talk. He and I have been fans of musical mash-ups for a long time, but this is the epitome of songs strung together with central harmonies and melodies each taking their own time to shine. Listening to Girl Talk is a musical all-you-can-eat-buffet of every genre that you want to taste. My brother sent me the suggestion along with letting me know that he was going to see this DJ (if that even gives him enough credit) perform. Unfortunately, he had to make a choice between a championship club basketball game or going to this show. Like most of our conversations lately, he called asking me to help him make the right choice. We both ran through the pros and cons and happily decided on Girl Talk. Later the next day I asked how he enjoyed the show. He couldn't talk due to class, but texted me saying that it was the best party that he'd ever been to. "We danced for about two hours straight". 

Listening to Girl Talk for the first time is comparable to sipping espresso for the first time after drinking regular drip coffee for years. It's a similar taste, and you know that it is familiar, but there is a kick to it that makes you wonder if you really like it or not. Some choose not to and others begin to see their preferences and palates broadening. Girl Talk is fine on my own, but I would have paid good money to have been there with my brother. It is not the way the songs are mashed together, nor the beat that drives each of them—it is everyone in the room coming together to enjoy and experience what only happens very few times. That's what music can do. My brother gets it and he digs it just as much if not more than the biggest music fans out there ...and that's why we're related. 

Why I sing...

7 comments:

  1. Awesome, Nick! I'm so glad you're doing this!

    I think Girl Talk is awesome. I wish I had seen him when he was here recently, but live isn't the best way for me to listen anymore.

    When I read what you wrote I was sort of surprised by the fact that you seemed so old to me before you discovered your own music. I have a vivid memory of counting the days until Yellow Submarine came out and me and my dad going to buy it. Granted, I was 4 and I know that I was heavily influenced by him, but I also know that at that time my mom was listening to The Brazil '66 and I hated them. So, I pretty much think of that as being the first album I chose to listen to - over and over and over.

    I always felt like you had a pretty defined sense of what you liked as a kid, and I always respected that about you.

    And I never hear this song without thinking of seeing you in my rear-view mirror as you sat in the back seat of my car with your friends:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZwm_OKh6bw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and keep writing!

    xoxo,

    Miss America

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother and I share a very similar dynamic, and I've always been fond of it.

    And do you remember in 8th grade, when we had that lunch table closest to the wall with India, Seth, Caleb, etc.? I still remember those times as my first discussions of music, and I vividly remember all of our dismay when we found out that 3EB had broken up and the discussions that followed. And the Beatles were a daily staple, along with the terrible Ahlf lunches.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miss America — That was quite a trip down memory lane. I haven't heard that song in years! I got a big smile on my face when I saw what was about to play. There was a rush of memories that I hadn't thought about in ages that hit me all at once.

    I am such a complacent person that I think that is what took me so long to start trying out new types of music. You and India were really the ones that started that. I remember having a feeling months before I bought that first cd that I was bored with hearing the same music over and over... and I literally had for as long as I had been alive. It was a bit of an awakening to own my own music... much like Dorothy walking into Technicolor for the first time.

    I'll keep writing. I hope that you keep reading. :-)


    Nathan — 8th grade lunch was the highlight of my year. I'm pretty sure that during one of those lunches is when The Burning Outhouses was formed. And I still remember the conversation about 3eb's breakup... which to find out later was just the firing of their lead guitar player.

    I believe that my first group conversations about music was at that table too. India and I had had several between the two of us before then, as well as Seth and I. But, that was the first time that there was ever a "forum" of us buzzing about music. I wish there was someway to go back and listen to ourselves. That would be hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy your writing, Nick.

    I too enjoy Girl Talk and a few of my friends went and saw him perform at a club a couple months ago. They gave a similar report: lots and lots of dancing and just an overall great time.

    Nacho, did you ever hear the Gray Album? It was a mashup by Danger Mouse combining the Beatles White Album with Jay-Z's Black Album. I would give five bucks that you've heard it. It was quite the craze during my 1st year at Harding.

    On a side note, I'm listening to the new Decembrists album as I'm writing to you. Only two songs in so far but I'm loving it. A much more electric affair this go-around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicholas,
    Firstly, that video my mom posted took me way back as well. We really had impeccable taste for such young folk. As my mom said above, you always had very refined tastes, and one of my favorite memories from childhood is sitting behind you in English class and talking about music and trading mix tapes. (We were so cool.)

    Nathan, that lunch table was such a prolific turning point in my musical life. What's sad is that, even as an adult, I have rarely found such inspiring conversation.

    It's kind of a bummer we didn't just all start a band and travel the world. We coulda been really big in Japan, I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, this makes me wish I had a brother. I've always been able to rely on my dad to share music with me. The dynamic has shifted now, so I often turn him on to new, good stuff whereas he used to keep my abreast of musical trends.

    ReplyDelete