Thursday, March 19, 2009

Why Nachos?

Everyone seems to enjoy appetizers. At restaurants, the waitress or waiter will always point out the house speciality for an appetizer. At parties or gatherings, plates are passed around with tiny bits of food picked precisely for precarious fingers wavering on what might make the best choice for their palate. By definition, an appetizer is anything that whets the appetite for something to further indulge. Nachos, by definition, are a very sloppy form of appetizer that seems to gain credit for being of Mexican descent. I do not know if they truly are from south of the border, but the taste is quite fine. Anyone can make nachos. Chips, salsa, cheese... anything else is a commodity and only supplements them more. 

This "blog", or as I will probably be referring to it more as a "thought catalog", is the basis for what drives me musically. There are several things that propel me, but music seems to be one of a few parts that is continually consistent and carefully conscious in my mind. These thoughts of mine are just humble appetizers, or "nachos" if you will, for you to add the rest of your ingredients or thoughts. Nothing is wrong. There is no opinion that rests in better understanding than one's own mind. Therefore, thinking is one of our greatest gifts and the ability to provoke thoughts and emotions in others through our ideas should never be underestimated. 

This is a bit of rambling, but like the plates of appetizers, after minutes of being passed around they are scattered and shuffled. So, leave your thoughts. Leave your opinions. Leave your encouragements because even though rock 'n roll will not save the world anytime soon, music can bring people closer together. 


Why I Sing...

6 comments:

  1. I cannot wait to dig in to this metaphorical plate of cheesy goodness! (And by that I mean, thought catalog on beautiful noises.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicholas, do you remember The Burning Outhouses? What a concept.

    I'm looking forward to reading why you sing, and I love the idea. I also love the analogy.

    See you in cyberspace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. d d d d d die you green skunk..
    s s s s smell you later.


    not sure what made me think of that, but i HOPE you remember it!!
    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm pretty jazzed to read this. Also, you should probably move back soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "There is no opinion that rests in better understanding than one's own mind."

    Great quote.

    I have been frustrated on so many occasions with my inability to express in words what seems so intuitive and perfect in my mind. However, on a couple of occasions, sharing my thoughts with others led to a discussion that made me better understand what I was thinking. It allowed that thought take on new life.

    Any way...I just wanted to express my appreciation of the thought. The ability to make someone else think is rare and wonderful. Professor Nacho May.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cash Money Kyle — I feel like i know exactly what you mean. Most of the time, the only way that I can truly say what I am completely thinking in my mind is to put it on paper or write it out somehow. But, even after expressing my own thought, it does seem to become clearer in my own head. I hope that you leave more comments. There are some really great opinions reading this "thought catalog" and I think that you'll be able to relate and learn a lot from them. I am really looking forward to learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete